Friday, July 9, 2010

RIP my Jeep, 2002-2010

So my beloved car, the Jeep Grand Cherokee that I've driven since I was in high school, has met a sudden, tragic end. We were driving it one day last week, when all of a sudden the car started making a loud whirring noise and wouldn't shift from second to third gear (it's an automatic). We thought that was weird, but it eventually went back to third gear and ran normally. We took it into the car shop, and they thought it was just an oil problem, but that afternoon called to tell us that the transmission was literally falling to pieces (in big metal chunks) and it would take several days, and $2800, to fix the problem. This made us quite sad.

We've had to quit driving it since, since now it won't even shift from first-second, and will hit a max speed of 20 mph before clunking and grinding noises begin to sound from under the hood. We took it into a repair shop today, and thankfully, they quoted us at a lower price than the other place. So now it's there, in the shop, and we are carless. For the past few days, though, Clay's EQP has been nice enough to let us borrow their second car, so we've been able to run essential errands, like grocery shopping.

Still, I am so sad about my Jeep. I have driven the car since high school, and it has always been reliable, which is why its sudden demise is so shocking. It literally stopped running in two days. But we are getting it fixed up with a new transmission, and hoping to sell it and get a different car. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that makes me so sad! That car had so much character and LOVE put into it!
    My vote: go the Toyota route. They last for 10-15 years new. (LOVE that.) and love you, of course!

    ReplyDelete